default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
Logout|My Dashboard

Hickman murder trial date set

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 1:15 am

Matthew Eric Hickman, 39, will soon face a jury of his peers in Montgomery Circuit Court on four felony counts, including charges of murder, aggravated battery, battery by means of a deadly weapon and reckless homicide.

After several motions to continue from the defense, subpoenas have been issued and the trial date set for Sept. 10. Hickman is represented by William Goebel.

On the night of Nov. 26, 2012, Hickman allegedly got into an argument with Mark Welch while sitting in the cab of Hickman’s 1992 Chevy truck. Parked in Welch’s driveway at

2604 N. C.R. 950E, Darlington, Krisann Hood sat between the two men as tensions escalated.

In an affidavit signed by Indiana State Police Detective Bryan Harper, Hood said Hickman left the vehicle and produced a 12 gauge shotgun. He then went to the passenger side where Welch was sitting, shattered the window and opened the door trying to drag Welch out. During the struggle the shotgun discharged.

Hood fled for the house, at which point Hickman said, “See what you made me do. I just killed somebody, now I will have to kill myself.”

Hickman helped Hood break into Welch’s front door, where she called 911 and Hickman fled in his truck, leaving Welch on the gravel driveway.

According to Investigator James Cody, the blood he observed in the gravel driveway, as well as a spent 12 gauge shotgun shell and boot prints in the gravel and on the door, match with Hood’s eyewitness accounts. Cody also said that Welch’s wounds appeared to be a close contact or contact gunshot wound to his right shoulder, with exit wounds through his arms and then back into his chest.

Search warrants for Hickman’s Brownsburg residence and his vehicle were executed, where he was taken into custody without incident. The truck had a broken right passenger window and blood stains in the cab consistent with a shooting in the area.

Harper advised Hickman of his rights, which he waived, and agreed to speak with officers. Hickman acknowledged being with Hood and Welch, and confronting Welch with a 12 gauge shotgun. Hickman also admitting shooting Welch but claimed the discharge was inadvertent.

Hickman made his first appearance in court Nov. 29, represented by Goebel, where he was arraigned and an initial not guilty plea was entered on his behalf. He has remained incarcerated without bond in the Montgomery County Jail awaiting trial.

  • Discuss

Welcome to the discussion.

Online poll