Photo Credit: Alan Kolnik / Alamy Stock Photo
- Total time (working + commuting): 46.4 hours per week
- Working time: 41.5 hours per week
- Commuting time: 4.9 hours per week
- Percentage of population leaving for work before 7AM: 12.8%
- Median household income: $166,380
- Unemployment rate: 2.7%
A suburb of the nation’s capital, Bethesda is one of the top earning communities and best educated towns in the U.S. As expected from communities in the Washington, DC metropolitan area, the major employers in the area are government institutions such as the National Institutes of Health. Despite this, Bethesda is also home to many private corporations, with HMSHost, Lockheed Martin, AREVA, Honest Tea, and RLJ Companies all having a presence there. Reflective of its environment, the city has higher-than-average wages, lower-than-average unemployment, and above-average hours worked.