As part of the upcoming 100th anniversary in 2020 of ratification of the 19th amendment granting women the right to vote, it is fitting to recognize a remarkable individual from our community Mary Holloway Wilhite, who was a suffrage and women’s rights leader as well as our first local female physician. The LWV of Montgomery County is raising funds to have a national historical marker installed in honor of Dr. Wilhite.
When Mary Holloway graduated from the Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1856, she became one of the first women in Indiana to earn a medical degree. Born on a farm in Montgomery County, Mary had to work hard to achieve her dream of a medical education. She took in sewing and taught school for four years to save the money for her tuition.
But even as a young girl, Mary worked for women’s rights. In 1850, she sold subscriptions for The Women’s Advocate, an early suffrage newspaper. Perhaps she picked up her interest in politics from her father J. Washington Holloway, a cabinet maker, who served as a county commissioner.
Finally in 1854, Mary’s savings and financial aid from a fund for needy girls made it possible for her to enter the Pennsylvania Medical College. She completed her thesis “Constituents of Organic Bodies,” graduated in June of 1856, and set up her medical practice in Crawfordsville.
In 1860, at the age of 29, Dr. Mary married Eleazer Wilhite, a local tailor. They had seven children, three of whom died in infancy. Practicing medicine and raising a family did not prevent Dr. Wilhite from devoting time to the woman suffrage issue. In 1869, she chaired the organizing committee for the Woman’s Suffrage Association of Montgomery County and then served as its secretary. She was also vice president of the Indiana Equal Suffrage Association and organized the group’s 1880 Convention in Crawfordsville.
Dr. Wilhite wrote regularly on suffrage issues for the local newspapers. She was a fluent and forcible writer. Her poetic nature found expression in verse, and she wrote many short poems as well.
Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton were guests at the Wilhite home (formerly at 300 W. Wabash Ave.) when they came to Crawfordsville. Dr. Wilhite’s son Stanton was named after the great suffrage leader.
Dr. Wilhite devoted her medical practice to the needs of women and children and also the African-American community in Crawfordsville. In 1880, she headed the drive to establish the Montgomery County Orphan’s Home.
Dr. Wilhite was famous for her attention to her patients. Often accompanied by Susan Harter (mother of Anna Harter Walter), she went to any corner of town to relieve suffering. Dr. Wilhite died in February of 1892 from pneumonia contracted while making a house call.
The former site of Mary Holloway Wilhite’s home (at the corner of Wabash Avenue and Grant Street) is included as “Stop Six” in the Crawfordsville, Indiana “Women’s History Walking Tour.” Copies of the tour are available from the League of Women Voters of Montgomery County and the General Lew Wallace Study and Museum.
Anyone interested in donating to the Mary Hollway Wilhite Historic Marker project can make a donation to the LWV of Montgomery County and send to: LWV, P.O. Box 101, Crawfordsville, IN 47933, Attention: Wilhite Marker. The League is very appreciative of gifts already received from the DAR and Genealogy Club.