Well the month of June is here and the weather is finally warmer.
Good news, we now have four drivers, but now the hospitals are closed, oh well. We have had no veterans going to Roudebush Hospital in Indianapolis nor do we have any veterans going to Danville, Illinois.
For anyone wanting to go on Honor Flight the Honor Flight of Greater Lafayette will be traveling to Washington, D.C. sometime in the summer, so call 765-357-1000 to get more details or go online at info@Honorflightlafayette.com or www.Honorflightlafayette.com.
I will not be at the American Legion this month.
Now I am going to deviate from my normal discussions to speak about a topic that is very dear to me. It is finances specifically Dave Ramsey, I know many people are concerned about there finances.
1. Start with an emergency fund of $1,000 don’t do anything until you have in place.
2. Next place all of your debts smallest to largest. Don’t worry about interest rate.
3. After you have paid off all of your debts about (two years), then create your fully funded emergency fund of three to six month. This is all of your expense for your household.
4. Now start investing 15% in an IRA, 401K, 403B etc.
5. Buyer beware ... this is about how company’s advertise to get you to buy .
6. The role of insurance (term insurance etc,).
7. Retirement planning.
8. Real estate and mortgages.
9. Outrageous generosity.
If you would like more information, visit www.daveramsey.com. (Editor’s note: Ramsey’s column is published weekly in the Journal Review.)
Joe Ellis is the Montgomery County Veterans Officer. He can be reached at the Montgomery County Office Building, 110 W. South Blvd., Crawfordsville, IN 47933; by email at email@example.com; by landline telephone at 361-4133; or by cellphone at 765-401-0432.