Teams will enter boys’ basketball sectional play this week at three different locations. Some teams have avoided more quarantine COVID-19 situations than others, and enter sectional play with a different number of games played. Each of the three local sectionals have favorites, and each have teams that can play spoiler. Here are the local sectionals by the numbers.
2A No. 38 at Fountain Central
• Records: Carroll (Flora) 19-3, Rossville 15-7, Clinton Prairie 12-6, Seeger 7-11, Fountain Central 9-12, Western Boone 4-13. Caroll is on a two-game losing streak, after winning 18 in a row. They are 2-1 against the sectional field, while Rossville is 3-1. Fountain Central is 1-2 with a pair of losses to Seeger and win over Western Boone.
• Players to Watch: Western Boone’s Jonathan McAtee 20.1 points per game, Rossville’s Damon Shaw 15.1 points per game, Seeger’s Owen Snedeker 13.1 points per game, Fountain Central’s Mason Larkin 10.4 points per game.
• Top Scoring Team: Carroll 60.4 points per game. The Cougars have a scoring marging of +15.4. They’ve scored 60 points or more 11 times.
• Top Defensive Team: Clinton Prairie 40.4 points per game. The Gophers have held their opponents to 40 points or less eight times.
• Favorite: John Harrell gives Rossville a 47.48% chance to repeat as sectional champions. Carroll has a 33.32% chance.
2A No. 43 at Cloverdale
• Records: Parke Heritage 21-3, North Putnam 15-7, Southmont 11-9, Riverton Parke 10-9, Cloverdale 9-12, Cascade 4-15, South Putnam 2-12. Parke Heritage is 7-0 against the field, while North Putnam is 5-1 and Southmont is 2-3. The Mounties suffered losses to Cloverdale, North Putnam, and Parke Heritage.
• Players to Watch: North Putnam’s Mason Brooks 22.2 points per game, Cloverdale’s Kyle Thomas 20.4 points per game, Parke Heritage’s Christian Johnson 16.5 points per game, Southmont’s Avery Saunders 15.1 points per game, Riverton Parke’s Derron Hazzard 14.2 points per game, Cascade’s Stephen Alderson 10.6 points per game.
• Top Scoring Team: North Putnam 61.6 points per game. The Cougars have scored 60 points or more 14 times.
• Top Defensive Team: Parke Heritage 44.3 points per game. The Wolves have held their opponents to 50 points or less in 18 games.
• Favorite: John Harell gives Parke Heritage a 45.55% chance to repeat as sectional champions, quickly followed by North Putnam with a 42.8% chance. Southmont has a 7.08% chance.
3A No. 25 at Frankfort
• Records: Danville 14-4, Greencastle 18-6, Crawfordsville 12-6, Frankfort 10-10, Tri-West 8-9, Monrovia 7-12, North Montgomery 2-11. Crawfordsville beat Greencastle 72-63, Greencastle beat Danville 65-56, and Danville beat Crawfordsville 84-73. Danville is 5-1 against the sectional field, while Crawfordsville and Greencastle are both 4-1.
• Players to Watch: Greencastle’s Brody Whitaker 23.7 points per game, Danville’s Kobe Ward 20.6 points per game, Crawfordsville’s Jesse Hall 19.2 points per game, Frankfort’s Riley Goodnight 17.6 points per game, Monrovia’s Joe Williams 16.8 points per game, Tri-West’s Alex Covey 12.5 points per game, North Montgomery’s Jarrod Kirsch 8.8 points per game.
• Top Scoring Team: Danville 75.7 points per game. The Warriors have scored 75 points or more 11 times. They have a scoring margin of +15.4.
• Top Defensive Team: Greencastle 50.4 points per game. The Tiger Cubs held their opponents to 50 points or less 13 times.
• Favorite: John Harrell gives Danville a 27.34% chance to repeat as sectional champions. Greencastle a 26.13% chance, Tri-West 19.04% and Crawfordsville 15.85% chance.