NEW MARKET — The Southmont School Board of Trustees officially accepted the resignation of school superintendent Shawn Greiner on Monday at their monthly board meeting.
Greiner, who has accepted the position as superintendent of West Lafayette Schools, has served Southmont for nine years.
“I’d like to thank Dr. Greiner for his nine years of service to our community,” longtime board member Julie Hess said. “We’ve accomplished a lot since he’s been here. Some financial victories and victories regarding our buildings and facilities, as well as our academics.”
Greiner will be remembered as a superintendent who improved academics at every level, and oversaw many building and facility upgrades.
“Dr. Greiner, I know you and I haven’t always agreed on every discussion we’ve had, we’ve had many good debates, but I never doubted your commitment and motivation and that was in the best interest for our kids and for that my wife and I are truly grateful and good luck as you move forward,” said parent Chris Cox.
In conjunction with Greiner’s resignation, the board announced Carrie Milner as the interim superintendent. Milner, who retired from Cloverdale Schools in 2014 and has served in several interim superintendent roles since, will work two to three days a week through June.
Southmont Schools will accept resumes for the superintendent position through Feb. 11, before starting the hiring process.
The board also reorganized its leadership positions. After several years as the board president, Brad Monts has moved to the vice president role, while Daryl Hutson is the new board president. Jerry Kinkead is the secretary.
The board also approved Kristin Charles as the corporation treasurer and the law offices of Taylor, Chadd, Minnette, Schneider and Clutter as the corporation attorney and Dr. John Roberts as the medical advisor.
In addition, the board conducted a board of finance meeting and appointed Monts as the president of the board of finance, and Kinkead as the secretary. During that meeting they approved checks to be void, and reported interest collected in 2021. The school’s checking account at Hoosier Heartland State Bank collected $1,279.23 of interest in 2021, while the savings account collected $2,134.50. Corporate treasurer Kristin Charles said there was no recommendation to reinvest at this time.
In other business, the board approved:
• Accepted the resignation of Eugene “Buck” Waddell as West Central Fire Rescue instructor, effective Dec. 17, 2021.
• Approved maternity leave for Brooke Busenbark from Feb. 7 through April 29.
• Approved the hiring of Cheryl Politz as secretary/clinical assistant at Southmont Jr. High School.
• Approved $50 webinar stipends for Tony Gonczarow, Kathryn Yoakum, Jerry Long, Jamie McCormick, Cindy Armbruster and Caitlyn Tennison.
• Approved the following sports contracts: Jennifer Ballard as junior high swimming assistant coach at $1,053; Kaleb Swick as freshman boys basketball coach at $1,920 and as junior varsity boys basketball coach at $2,800; Rachel Welliever as junior high wrestling coach at $1,500; Boone Welliever as junior high assistant wrestling coach at $1,053; Desson Hannum as varsity track and field coach at $3,880; Rob Reimondo as varsity girls tennis coach at $3,139; Bill Whalen as varsity boys golf coach at $2,639; Brad Wininger as varsity baseball coach at $5,000; Dan Taylor as varsity softball coach at $5,000; Jake Turner fall weight program stipend of $1,674; and Desson Hannum fall weight program stipend of $1,674.
• Approved a trip for FFA to the Indiana FFA Leadership Center, Trafalgar, on Feb. 4-6.
• Approved the fifth grade trip to Camp Tecumseh on April 7-8 for Ladoga, New Market and Walnut students.
No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here