NEW MARKET — The Southmont School Board accepted a pair of teacher retirements during a brief meeting Monday.
Cindy McCormick, a music and band teacher at New Market Elementary and Southmont Jr. High, retired effective December 2020. Karen Selby, a speech teacher at New Market Elementary, will retire this May.
“I am grateful for the service they provided,” Southmont Superintendent Dr. Shawn Greiner said.
Board appointments also were made, including the retainment of Brad Monts as board president for the year. Daryl Hutson will continue to serve as the vice president. Jerry Kinkead will serve as secretary and Julie Hess as the assistant secretary.
Board members expect to discuss policy changes at its next meeting at 6 p.m. Feb. 8 in the board room at the corporation offices.
In other business, the board:
• Approved the resignation of freshman boys basketball coach Ken Dooley, effective Dec. 11, 2020, and rescinded his contract addendum of $1,920. They also approved a one-fourth stipend to Dooley of $480.
• Approved the hire of Cole Wemer as freshman boys basketball coach and a three-fourths stipend of $1,440.
• Approved the hire of Kandora Hargis as a substitute music and band teacher at New Market Elementary.
• Approved the hire of Matt Williams as sixth grade girls basketball coach and a stipend of $1,053.
• Approved the hire of Angela Williams as sixth grade girls basketball volunteer assistant coach.
• Appoved the hire of Boone Welliever as junior high assistant wrestling coach with a stipend of $1,053.
• Approved the hire of Caleb Martin as a volunteer varsity assistant wrestling coach.
• Approved donations made to Walnut Elementary School in the amount of $420.
• Approved SA-5 report for Southmont High School for the period of July 1, 2020 to Nov. 30, 2020.
• Approved Ladoga, New Market and Southmont Schools outstanding checks over two-years old.
• Approved junior high trip to Washington D.C. June 8-11.