The Latest: Jazz to play at home with limited number of fans

Posted

The Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:

___

The Utah Jazz will play homes games before a limited number of fans when the NBA season begins.

The team said Vivint Arena will reopen with a reduced seating capacity of 1,500 in the lower bowl only and limited seating on the suite level. The arena has a capacity of 18,306.

Several safety measures are being put into place, including requiring face coverings, mobile entry, and screening procedures at all entrances.

“The Jazz believe this is a responsible way to start the season from a public health and safety standpoint. Our intent is to increase the number of fans as the season unfolds in compliance with state guidelines,” said Jazz President Jim Olson.

___

No. 12 Tennessee has extended its pause of team activities through Dec. 4 after receiving the results of COVID-19 testing.

The Vols paused activities Monday and ran more tests after announcing coach Rick Barnes, 66, had tested positive. Tennessee later canceled its Volunteer Classic that had been scheduled to start Wednesday.

Now Tennessee has extended its pause on activities, and the Vols will not play No. 1 Gonzaga in Indianapolis next week as part of the Jimmy V Classic. School officials also announced Tennessee will not play at Notre Dame on Dec. 4. That was a game that had not been announced with the contract not finalized yet.

The Volunteers hope to return to practice Dec. 5 with their first game this season now Dec. 12 hosting Cincinnati.

Barnes remains in isolation at home. Tennessee says Barnes is experiencing “very mild symptoms.”

___

Two National Hockey League teams say multiple players have tested positive for the novel coronavirus while preparing for the new season.

The Columbus Blue Jackets said in an email to The Associated Press that “several” players recently tested positive and went into quarantine. The Vegas Golden Knights confirmed via email that four players recently tested positive, have been self-isolating and are recovering well.

Both clubs have closed off-ice facilities at their training centers as a precautionary measure and will keep them off-limits through the Thanksgiving holiday.

NHL facilities are open to players for voluntary workouts while the league and union hammer out a deal to begin the 2021 season. The sides have targeted a Jan. 1 start, though that is appearing more unlikely without an agreement in place.

-- Hockey Writer Stephen Whyno

___

The Baltimore Ravens will conduct all team activities virtually with time running out before their scheduled matchup against unbeaten Pittsburgh on Thanksgiving night.

Running backs Mark Ingram and J.K. Dobbins, along with defensive tackle Brandon Williams, were placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list Monday.

In a statement Tuesday morning, the team said the on-field practice session was canceled “with the health and safety of players and staff remaining the highest priority.”

___

Hockey Canada says two players at its world junior selection camp have tested positive for the novel coronavirus and Tuesday’s scrimmage has been postponed.

Executive Scott Salmond says those players have been placed in quarantine at Hockey Canada’s team hotel in Red Deer, Alberta.

Players, coaches and staff all took mandatory COVID-19 tests upon arrival at the camp and have been tested regularly for the past 10 days.

The International Ice Hockey Federation is planning to hold the world junior tournament in a quarantined bubble in Edmonton beginning Dec. 26. That’s where the NHL held its Western Conference playoffs and final four over the summer.

___

Wisconsin says its scheduled women’s basketball season opener Wednesday with Miami of Ohio has been postponed due to COVID-19 protocols regarding Miami’s program.

Wisconsin officials said the two schools are seeking a date to reschedule the game. Wisconsin is continuing to practice and is now preparing to open the season Sunday when it hosts Western Illinois.

___

The Atlantic Coast Conference is relocating its men’s basketball tournament in March to Greensboro, North Carolina.

The tournament was originally scheduled for Washington, but Tuesday’s announcement came due to the novel coronavirus pandemic. The ACC said the nation’s capital will instead host the tournament in 2024.

Last season’s ACC Tournament was canceled after two days in Greensboro due to the pandemic. The league had previously announced the 2022 event would return to Brooklyn, New York, and Greensboro would also host in 2023 after the March cancellation.

___

More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports

Comments

No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment