NEW MARKET — The South Montgomery School Board of Trustees welcomed new board member Jake Watson on Monday.
Watson was elected in the fall 2022 general election and replaces George Spencer on the seven-person board.
Long-time board member Brad Monts from Clark Township didn’t seek re-election and no one filed for the position. The school board will now conduct interviews with six potential candidates at 5 p.m. Tuesday in the corporation board room to fill the position.
The board also elected officers for the year. Daryl Hutson was retained as the president and Julie Hess will serve as vice president. Jerry Kinkead will serve as secretary and Eric Mason will serve as assistant secretary.
The board also paused the meeting to hold a brief board of finance meeting, where it was reported that in October, the schools’ checking account saw an interest increase from .05% to 1.5% and their money market savings account saw an increase from .05% to 2%.
Board members also recognized the student and staff members of the month from each school.
Ladoga’s Brooklyn Earlywine was the student of the month and Sharon Redmaster, a special education teacher, was the staff member of the month. At New Market, recognition went to fifth-grader Rachel Johnson and special education teacher Stevie Cornelius. At Walnut, Eva Yates was the student of the month and kindergarten teacher Kelly Shannon was the staff member of the month. At the junior-high, recognition went to eighth-grader Layla Shaw and dean of students and athletic director Erin Blaydes. Senior Stella Snook was the high school student of the month and the staff member of the month was band director Elizabeth Newnum and choir director Sarah Fadil.
In personnel matters, the board:
• Approved the hiring of Beth Zuver as a temporary kindergartner teacher at Ladoga Elementary, and Bryce Adams, instructional aide at Southmont High School for the remainder of the 2022-23 school year.
• Accepted the resignation of Michelle Justus, deputy treasury, effective Dec. 23, 2022, and Michelle Acton, junior-high secretary effective Dec. 16, 2022.
• Approved a $1,200 stipend for Rebekah Thomas as the junior high swim coach.
• Approved Mike Haslam and Ty Welliver as volunteer junior high wrestling coaches; and Zach Endicott as junior high assistant wrestling coach with a stipend of $1,100.
• Approved a pay increase for substitute teachers.
• Accepted donations made to Walnut Elementary School in the amount of $50 and to Southmont High School in the amount of $7,213.
• Accepted a $3,125 corporate sponsorship from the athletic department.
No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here