Modern life has become increasingly complicated and stressful. It is believed that stress is the primary obstacle to laughter. According to the Psychiatric Times, the field of medicine has come to recognize the importance of humor to our health. Now this is nothing new, for God tells us all through the Bible the importance of laughter. Let me share two versus with you — “A merry heart doth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drouth the bones.” (Proverbs 17:22). Also Psalm 126:2-3, “Then was our mouth filled with laughter, and our tongue was singing: then said they among the heathen, the Lord hath done great things for them.”
Medical science has discovered this Biblical truth. They say laughter decreases stress hormones and increases immune cells and infection fighting antibodies, thus improving your resistance to disease. Laughter triggers the release of endorphins, the body’s natural feel good chemicals. Endorphins promote an over all sense of well being and can even temporarily relieve pain according to the Psychiatric Times. So let me share some signs in Great Britain that made me laugh.
• In a cemetery: “Persons are prohibited from picking flowers from any but their own graves.”
• In a London department store: “Bargain basement upstairs.”
• On a church door: “This is the gate to heaven. Enter ye all by this door. (This door is kept locked because of the draft. Please use side entrance.)
• Outside a second-hand shop: “We exchange anything — bicycles, washing machines, etc. Why not bring your wife along and get a wonderful bargain?”
• Notice in a field: “The farmer allows walker to cross the field for free, but the bull charges.”
• On a repair shop door: “We can repair anything. (Please knock hard on the door — the bell does not work.)
Take time to think of God’s goodness to you. Enjoy the humor and joy we see all around us. It will make your health, day and life better.