One local elementary school has earned state recognition for its significant commitment to service members, veterans and students and families connected to the nation’s military.
Mollie B. Hoover Elemenaty School was named among the 102 newly-designated and or redesignated Purple Star schools by the Indiana Department of Education. The IDOE also announced Thursday that this year’s recipients is the largest group since the award was created in 2020.
Contributing to Hoover’s selection as a Purple Star school is its annual Veterans Day program, which was conducted Friday in the school gymnasium.
“The daily sacrifices of our service members and their families are beyond what many of us can comprehend,” said Dr. Katie Jenner, Indiana Secretary of Education. “Honoring their selflessness and unwavering commitment to protecting our freedoms as Americans is a priority for our state, on Veterans Day and every day of the year. It is an honor to award the Purple Star designation to these Indiana schools for their recognition, celebration and support of our military families, as well as our students who may be considering a future in military service.”
This year’s designation includes 64 newly-awarded Purple Star schools in addition to 38 schools that renewed their designation this year. The designation is valid for three years.
In Indiana, schools receiving the Purple Star designation must meet the following criteria:
• Have an assigned point of contact for military families,
• Meet all grade-level training requirements for point of contact,
• Have a dedicated webpage providing recognition and resources for service members, veterans and students and families,
• Host an annual military program (e.g., Veterans Day, 9/11, etc.),
• Have a public military display recognizing service members,
• Submit a school board resolution publicizing support for military students and families, and
• Ensure military service members and their immediate family members meeting minimum job qualifications for open positions at the school will be guaranteed a job interview.
More information on the Indiana Purple Star School designation is available online at https://in.gov/doe/educators/purple-star-school-applications/.