Our nation was founded by men and women who believed in Jesus Christ and the importance of God in America. Christian religious symbols and Biblical references adorn buildings and monuments in Washington, D.C., a testimony to the place God has in our nation’s history. My heart was moved in walking among our monuments and memorials.
• The Washington Monument: Engraved on the aluminum capstone is “Laus Deo,” which means, “Praise be to God.” Lining the walls of the stairwell are blocks carved with phrases like “Holiness to the Lord,” “Search the Scriptures” and “Train up a child in the way he should go.” All quotes from the Bible.
• The Jefferson Memorial: A quote around the interior of the dome says, “I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the minds of man.” One panel reads, “God who gave us life and liberty. Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed a conviction that these liberties are the gift of God? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just, that His justice cannot sleep forever.”
• The Lincoln Memorial: To the right of this magnificent statue of Abraham Lincoln is his second inaugural address, which mentions God 14 times and quotes the Bible twice. On Mr. Lincoln’s left is the Gettysburg Address: “we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain, that his nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom.”
• The House Chamber: The inscription, “In God We Trust” is found in the House Chamber.
• The Senate Chamber: At the east entrance to the Senate Chamber are the words: “Annuit Coeptis,” which is Latin for “He hath favored our undertakings.” The words “In God We Trust” are also written over the southern entrance.
We have a marvelous heritage and have experienced the blessings of God. May we not only remember this July 4, 2019, but do our part to preserve this divine legacy. We should also remembers God’s warning: “If you by any means forget the Lord your God, and follow other gods ... you shall surely perish,” (Deuteronomy 8:10-19). May America remember to bless the Lord our God!